Friday, January 27, 2012

Beautiful Lupines in my garden--how do I save the seeds for next year?

We moved into a house 2 years ago that was owned by an elderly woman who obviously had a green thumb. I am a gardening newbie. I had a few Lupines come up in my flower garden last year--this year there are more than a dozen! I'd love to have more next year, so how I do store/prepare the seeds so they will come up successfully next year?
Beautiful Lupines in my garden--how do I save the seeds for next year?
If you live in a climate without harsh winter weather, these perennials reseed themselves.



At the end of the blooming period, you will see that the plant turns brown and forms seed pods. Shake the pods into a brown paper bag. Let the pods dry in a single layer in a box near a cool, dry area inside the house.



When the ground is not frozen, plant the seeds.
Reply:I love Lupines too. They are generally considered a short-lived perennial, so it's important to let their seeds drop to the ground in the fall and self-sow. This will usually work to keep new plants coming along each year.
  • bloom-
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment