Monday, January 30, 2012

First Time Flower Garden?

My and my new husband just moved into our first home and we want to start a pretty flower bed in the front. The yard is horrible looking right now. What are some good flowers that will grow nicely in Georgia weather? and that are not too difficult to take care of?

Also, we have a huge tree in the center of our front yard, it causes a shadow over most of the front yard (not where we are planting the flowers mentioned above). So we pretty much know nothing will grown around the tree, but I still want some kind of circular bed around the tree, to make the ground look less sparse. Would just a bed of pretty stones look bad? or is there a bush you can grow that doesn't need much sunlight?

thanks!
First Time Flower Garden?
Around our neighborhood I've seen river rocks around trees and I really like the look! I would probably use Mexican river rocks myself because I like the look of dark rocks. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...
Reply:I'm not sure about the flowers that will grow in your area, although petunias always look pretty and will grow just about anywhere with plenty of water and a little shade. However, the tree situation. Hosta's. Plant 3 or 4 around the base of the tree. The stones would be pretty if you plan to use them in other areas as well. I just put mulch around my trees. It's inexpensive and improves the appearance instantly. I like the red mulch for a nice contrast with the green grass.



Have fun and experiment. Most greenhouses will answer any questions that you have and help you create the look that you want.
Football Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment