Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chives-cilantro and instant flower garden questions?

The other day when my husband and I went to pick out flowers for our flower garden for the first time since I moved up north I saw celentro {brings back major memories of Tx} my husband told me to go ahead and get a plant but then I saw a seed package of them for almost 95% less then what the shop wanted for the plant so I bought the seed package and planted it according to the directions on the back of the package I also bought some chive seeds. My question is has any one of you had luck growing these herbs from seeds or should I just go ahead and buy the already mature plant? My second question is in regard to those instant flower garden you see on TV and QVC and all over the stores now. Do they work? Yes I know you'd have to prepair the bed but you have to do that with all plants and its something Im willing to do {or atleast have my husband do}. What has been your luck with them..Thanks
Chives-cilantro and instant flower garden questions?
I grow most of my herbs from seed. Since I have heavy clay soil, I used about 3" of soil amendment on top and they grow great. It also makes it easier to pull weeds. I guess the instant gardens would be alright if you want to have "their" selection of flowers in your garden. Have seen many people in other Forums say they didn't have any luck with them but that could be their fault.
Reply:Herbs are the easiest to seed! Not too picky about soil either, but do like loamy well-drained soil. No need to feed them, they like to be left alone. I find chives to be perennial in my mild winter climate so choose your spot carefully as they come back each year. Go ahead and give it a try! I find it to be so much more rewarding to grow plants from seed and they are much less expensive, pennies on the dollar, compared to potted plants.

As for those seed carpets, my experience was not good. Produced random and sparse plants. I would not suggest them. Much easier to start seeds in pots myself and then transplant them later into the garden. You will have much better luck. Especially once you get your hand at starting seeds. The seed packages have great hints on temps and times of year so do not fear...you can do it! Have fun!
Fillings

No comments:

Post a Comment